Monday 27 May 2013

How to switch keyboard input language through ssh terminal on the remote machine? (Alt-Shift analog for ssh)

How to switch keyboard input language through ssh terminal on the remote machine? (Alt-Shift analog for ssh)

I'm looking for a way to change the language I give as input to the remote machine in an ssh session.All I want is an analog of the Alt+Shift shortcut, but for the remote machine.Specifically, the language I want to use is Greek. I don't want permanent change, I just want to be able to change it repeatedly whenever I want. I've installed the locale packages for Greek (el-...) but it seems changing the language of the local keyboard does not help with the remote machine's language. E.g. I switch to Greek on the local computer, and I write - touch + (greek characters' filename) - in the command line, but then the file appears as ???, so there's something I do wrong.I haven't found a satisfying solution yet.Any help would be appreciated.I don't know if it makes any difference,but I connect to the remote (Ubuntu) machine through putty in Windows OS, and that's where I mainly intend to do so. Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment